Saturday, July 29, 2006

Life in Singapore

Well, this is my first post in Singapore!

Life here still okay. Manage to 'accept' the currency rate difference between Malaysia and Singapore. Ha. The exchange rate now is around 2.33. So, I'll remind myself to times 2.33 to all the price of things, food especially, here.

I'm staying in A-Block Kent Ridge Hall for this academic year. (Don't ask me why it is call "A-block" instead of "Block A", it is a rule here to differentiate KR from Sheares Hall located just beside.) What can I say about KR? It's one of the newest hostel in NUS. There are 5 blocks all together in KR: A , B, C , D, and E. The facilities are all in perfect condition. I'm very satisfied with the room I'm currently staying in. The hostel is almost like a hotel if you ask me. There is a kitchen in every floor. Same goes to toilet of course. Male and females are seperated by alternate floors. (Arggh, too bad I still havnt got my computer yet, cannot upload photos from my handphone.) In the main building (Admin block), theres a Multi Purpose Sports Hall (MPSH), a Music Room, a Dance Room, a Computer Room (which I'm in now), and there are few more restricted area, which freshies like me cannot go to.

Semester starts 7th August. Orientation starts next week. You might be wondering why I came here so early. Actually there are a lot of activities going on before school starts. But, the most crucial reason I came here early is for the Qualifying English Test (QET). So, basically after the QET, I'm free to do whatever I want. Either find activities to join or just stay in room and stares a the wall or sleep. Nobody will bother you.

Well, I joined KR Hall RAG team to fill up my free time these few days. RAG is the float decoration thing. Its a big event in NUS. Basically RAGgers will stay up at night to decorate the float. They start working from "3-6", don't misunderstand, it is 3 pm to 6 am. COOL eh? Haha. Well, since I'm a freshie and non-ragger, I don't need to stay up so long to do the rag thing. I can go whenever I want. But usually I go at night, around 9pm to 4am. (Arggh, too bad I still havnt got my computer yet, cannot upload photos from my handphone.) Haha.

People here are all very talented. Most of them under Scholarships. Sometimes feels like 'nothing' compare to them. Talented as in Music (Grade 8... blah blah blah), Dance, Academic, Sports, EVERYTHING! Seriously! Very different from the 'nothing' I felt back in secondary school.

Well, got few friends that I 'stick to' in KR. Haha. Phang Swee King, from PJ; Wan Ru from PJ; Annabelle Low (studied in ACJc, think so, forget), a Malaysian but stayed in Hong Kong; Tan Shin Fei from KL (studied in TJc), Adrianas from Jc also (Indonesian) and few more Chinese from China. Actually not all freshies are here. Some of them still have not check-in yet. They will check-in tomorrow I guess.

Life style here is totally different that Local Uni back there. You can do whatever you want whenever you like. For example, they are people jogging 2am early in the morning. No kidding, I saw it myself in the middle of the night. And... you can wear whatever you like to classes, of course not too exaggerating lar... where as in local Uni, we need to wear until very formal to attain classes, well thats what I know for UPM Engineering faculty. Haha.

Well, thats all I guess. Will blog again next time. Hopefully I can get my laptop by then. GRRR! So sien... Haha.

Btw, my address is as below. Feel free to mail me, doubt you would. Ha.

GOH BING HAN
KENT RIDGE HALL
NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
10, HENG MUI KENG TERRACE,
SINGAPORE 119617
Tel: +6597320006 (revised on 29 Dec 2006)
+6565162077
Fax: +6567792522

6 comments:

  1. so good ah.

    But I still don't understand what is RAG :P And how come it took so long to do? ^.^"

    Anyway, all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh.. seems like u're having a fun time there eh? Glad for u.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wah, so enjoying? Too bad you never ask me to join you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear ocytacus,
    RAG = float decoration. Yup, they


    Dear Tp[[double-u]],
    Haha. Yup, orientation was very fun. But now (Sem1 going to start soon) very tiring, because we need to bid for our module. Need to check through all the modules and make sure they will not clash.


    Dear TheAngel,
    Haha, maybe when you come Singapore I can go meet you? ;)
    But, still not very familiar with the places of interest in Singapore yet. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear ocytacus,
    RAG = float decoration. Yup, they


    Dear Tp[[double-u]],
    Haha. Yup, orientation was very fun. But now (Sem1 going to start soon) very tiring, because we need to bid for our module. Need to check through all the modules and make sure they will not clash.


    Dear TheAngel,
    Haha, maybe when you come Singapore I can go meet you? ;)
    But, still not very familiar with the places of interest in Singapore yet. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh.. seems like u're having a fun time there eh? Glad for u.

    ReplyDelete