Tuesday, August 11, 2009

KR RAG

My journey of RAG in Kent Ridge Hall.

Year 0 - KRonos
Mechanism controller for cylinder

The float that inspires a lot of Raggers and Floaters, including me of course.
I spent most of my orientation at dinning hall, helping out, with the intention to be the first few freshman to see this so called "float" structure. Finally I was chosen as one of the helper for the main mechanism, along with weliam. My first impression of KRonos - precision structure, with insanely intricate cladding!
Still remember on RAG Day 2006 itself, before entering presentation area, Boon Sern, the CE for KRonos, shout from the cylinder of KRonos - "Even the pulley break, we will not break!". In presentation box, witnessing that pair of wings that spread out of the float body (cylinder), I told myself that RAG will definitely be part of my Hall Life for the coming few years.

KRonos @ Plaza Singapura


Year 1 - Flight
Assistant Chief Enginner

First attempt in building something out of nothing. A lot happened throughout the whole 3 months. Sweet, bitter, joy, disappointment; witnessing how people changed for better, for worse. RAG its not as simple as I thought.
Lack of proper preparation, inexperience team, on week six, I knew the whole team were marching towards a pit of fire. On RAG day itself, its disheartening to hear our neighbour, SH, swept almost all the awards. But, what make me burst into tears is when I pass by EH's dancer's resting area, the dancers ran in front of me make fun of me.
Nevertheless, Flight is the reason for I continue on, to catch up with my dream, to correct the mistakes I've made.

Flight @ Padang


Year 2 - KRhome
Float Engineer

Things were much better this year, Weliam, ZY, Jeff, and I know what we want to focus on this time round. We started off early, identified the winning formula, and worked hard during the whole 3 months, even to the extend burning our Sunday rest time. On RAG Day itself, we won big. To be frank, I knew there will be one big winner when our float arrive at SRC, its either us, or EH. I was so worried, until the first award was announced :)


KRhome @ SRC


Year 3 - KRavings
Helper

Involved in the early stage brainstorming. Its really a different experience as an "advisor" I would say. I tried as much as possible not to provide any input, and let the idea flow within raggers themselves.
KRavings is a good float, the idea, colours and the intricacy of the claddings. But there are few winning factors that KRavings missed out during presentation. On top of that, competition was tough this year and, specially from KE. KEnovo is definitely a very very good float, with the creativity of the claddings (and compilation of the idea from the past winning floats. =) ). Actually, I like KE's float all these while, just that they were out shined during presentation - dance.

KRavings @ SRC



7 comments:

  1. i am always a KE VII fan too :)

    They deserve to win best float this time! ... hope they get to go Chingay!

    in the end what is winning? Shields? or winning the battle in creating a float?

    rag has definitely change me and more importantly... left me with life long friends :)

    hope you have gained a lot from it too

    See Yong

    ReplyDelete
  2. @vinz

    Yeap, KE7 was good every year. Can tell that they really study and incorporated great ideas of the past.

    For me,
    its about the recognition of creating "The Best Float".
    Its about giving freshmen a euphoric ending for orientation by putting up a good presentation.
    Its about managing a team, guiding those who joined the team, bringing together those who share the same dream and ensure the continuity of passion and spirit for RAG in the coming generation.

    Yup, 9 months burn of holiday, definitely worth it - experience, life long buddies, friends.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally salute u for giving most of ur uni life to KRag. maybe it's about time to have a Cheif Adivsor on KRag committee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never really catch'up with ya since u came to s'pore. Guess the only time we met everyyear is during Rag Day. haha.
    Thanks for the good words. Although we are nowhere close, the standard of KR Rag is something we strive to achieve. I can never forget the moment when KRonos stretched her wings. It's truly awe inspiring.
    Cya around! or for the very least, cya in Rag Day 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Lena
    Haha, graduating soon. Its time to pass on and move on :) Every year is different learning experience.

    @GES
    Agree, the only time we meet every year is on RAG day.
    Actually a lot of KR raggers also admire KE's float every year, not just me. ;) Guess KRonos did a success in inspiring a lot of ragger-wannabe ;)
    Yep! Cya around in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lena
    Haha, graduating soon. Its time to pass on and move on :) Every year is different learning experience.

    @GES
    Agree, the only time we meet every year is on RAG day.
    Actually a lot of KR raggers also admire KE's float every year, not just me. ;) Guess KRonos did a success in inspiring a lot of ragger-wannabe ;)
    Yep! Cya around in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i totally salute u for giving most of ur uni life to KRag. maybe it's about time to have a Cheif Adivsor on KRag committee.

    ReplyDelete